San Francisco

San Francisco

Monday, March 21, 2011

Conservatorship Nightmare - Part 1

HOW IT BEGAN...

Sometimes I say to myself I wish I knew then what I know now…
Thought it might be helpful to share my experience with the conservatorship process from the beginning.  If I had only known!

In December of 2008, I was formally introduced to the woman who single handily destroyed our family.  Even though my brother had been dating/living with this woman for close to three years, I had only met her on two other occasions.  Both times, by accident in a restaurant setting.

I officially met her on a Thursday night, talked to her one on one for about 10 minutes and we exchanged phone numbers.  The next morning she called me crying.  She has just gotten out of a hearing regarding her divorce.  Apparently, her ex-husband was supposed to pay her a significant amount of money as a result of the hearing but something had gone terribly wrong and the judge did not rule in her favor.

She was so distraught.   She was supposed to leave for Disneyland that afternoon with her daughter and they had been looking forward to this trip for weeks.  Her ex-husband was such a terrible father depriving his daughter of this long anticipated outing.  By the way, I have since learned that the “ex” is a GREAT guy!  I also learned that in reality, she was not entitled or due to receive any money as a result of her court hearing that day!  Truth be told, she owed her ex $100,000!

Towards the end of our call, my “new friend” asked me if she could “borrow” $1200.  I felt so sorry for her and her daughter that I agreed.  Upon hearing this, the river of tears quickly subsided and she asked me when she could come by to pick-up the money.

She arrived within an hour, and when I handed her a check for $1200, she told me she preferred cash.  I explained to her that I could not leave my Grandmother in order to go to the bank.  She reluctantly took the check and off to Disneyland she went.

To be continued...