San Francisco

San Francisco

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

In the Hospital

It is 5:05 a.m. on Tuesday, April 5, 2011.  I received a call approximate 20 minutes ago from Jamie in Charlestown, Massassachusetts.  She had just read an email from Herb Thomas, Conservator of the Person.

This is what the email said:

"Hi Everyone:

Mrs. DeMartini was admitted to St. Mary’s hospital yesterday. Around 12:30, Dr. Bricca called to give an update on her medical status. Yesterday her hemoglobin was very low, as was her oxygen saturation level. She has a diagnosis of aspiration pneumonia, which is common in elderly individuals with g-tubes and occurs as their ability to swallow their own salivary secrections deteriorates.

At St, Mary's hospital they put her on IV fluids and IV antibiotics. Yesterday she received a blood transfusion to increase her hemoglobin levels. Today her hemoglobin is low again.

Dr. Bricca recommends that Mrs. DeMartini's plan of care be one of comfort measures. He recommends no further blood transfusions, and that Mrs. DeMartini be kept comfortable and her pain be managed."

I was with my Uncle all day yesterday.  No one called him to tell him of my Grandmother's hospitalization.  You can be sure they didn't call me.  I found out ifrom my daughter who found out via an email two days after Noni's hospitalization. These people are truly DISPICABLE!

I am on the way to tell my Uncle and bring him to the hospital.  My brother did not even have the common courtesy to call my Uncle.  We could have been at the hospital with her yesterday if he had just for once in his life thought about someone other than himself!

Being "kept comfortable and her pain be managed" means that she is being given morphine, and that she will die very soon.  It's called "comfort care" at St. Mary's hospital.

More later...