San Francisco

San Francisco

Friday, March 18, 2011

Laurel Heights Convalescent Hospital


My Grandmother was terrified by the thought of ever having to live in a nursing home.  For as long as I can remember, I promised her that would never happen and I would always take care of her.

My Grandmother has enough money to pay for 24 hour care in her own home yet the conservators have decided that she will spend the rest of her days in a nursing home.  I have sent many emails to both the conservators and all the attorneys involved in this situation.  I have researched the benefits of in-home care and sent them the information.  Professionals overwhelming recommend in-home care over nursing home care for a patients like my Grandmother.

There is absolutely NO legitimate reason why my Grandmother cannot go home.  The cost of her care at home would be LESS than the $9000 per month being spent at Laurel Heights Convalescent Hospital.

I contacted my Grandmother's only living sister and BEGGED her to intervene.  She never even responded.  I often wonder how she would feel if the roles of the two sisters were reversed and she was the one in the nursing home.  I KNOW my Lala Nora (one of my Grandmother's other sisters who died in March of 2009) would NEVER allow my Grandmother to die in a place like Laurel Heights.  She would have done everything she could to help me and make sure that my Grandmother went home.

FACTS:

Laurel Heights - NO ACCREDITATION
The cost of my Grandmother's care is $300 per day but only $144 of that amount is applied towards her care.  The rest of the daily fee is used for administrative fees at the hospital.

My Grandmother is only tended to 4.83 hours per day.  The rest of the time...19.17 hours...she is left totally alone.

Laurel Heights does not accept Medicare or Medicaid.  They are a private pay facility.  Therefore, they have absolutely NO government reporting requirements! 

My Grandmother has healthcare that is supplemented by Medicare.  If she were at home, her insurance would pay part of the bill.  She has NO insurance coverage at Laurel Heights!

There are days that I am so frustrated and angry by the unfairness of what is happening to my Grandmother that I just want to scream!  Today is one of those days.  Not a good day if you planned on calling me.