San Francisco

San Francisco

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Who Do You See?


Who do you see Herb Thomas, who do you see?
What are you thinking when you're looking at me? 
              
                                                                                 
A sick old woman, with faraway eyes, uncertain and afraid, how long till she dies?
I can no longer talk and have no replies but I certainly know when you tell me your lies.


A sick dying woman who seems not to notice the things that you do
A grandmother who longs to see the family she once knew.

Who, resisting or not, lets you do as you will
Forced to live in a nursing home…I lay here so still.

Is that what you're thinking? Is that what you see?
Well open your eyes, Herb Thomas. You're not looking at me.


I'll tell you who I am as I sit here so still,
As I long to go home, as I eat at your will.

I'm a small girl of ten with a father and mother,

A brother and sisters, who love one another.



A young girl of sixteen, with wings on her feet,
Dreaming that soon now a lover she'll meet.

A bride soon at twenty, my heart gives a leap,
Remembering the vows that I promised Louie I would keep.

I’m twenty-five now and have two boys of my own.
Gary and Paulie need me to guide them and give them a happy home.

A woman of thirty, Gary and Paulie growing so fast.
Brothers bound to each other with ties that will last.

At forty my young sons have grown and are now gone,
But Louie’s beside me to see I don't mourn.

At fifty I once again have babies sitting on my knee,
Again we know children, Louie and me.

Dark days are upon me, Louie is dead.
I look at the future, I shudder with dread.


My young are all rearing young of their own,
And I think of the years and the love that I've known.

I'm now an old woman and nature is cruel.
“ ‘Tis jest to make old age look like a fool.”

The body, it crumbles, grace and vigor departs,
But I still have Jamie and Joey and they are my heart.

Inside my old body a young girl still dwells,
And now and again my battered heart swells.

I remember the joys, I remember the pain.
I'm loving and living life over again.

I think of the years…all too few, gone too fast,
And accept the stark fact that nothing can last.

So open your eyes, Herb Thomas, open and see,
Not a dying old woman; look closer…

SEE KATIE D!!


Herb Thomas is the "professional" conservator of the person and that person is my Grandmother.  Mr. Thomas recently submitted his invoice for services for the past year.  Over $35,000 for Mr. T and that did not include his attorney's charges for her services!