San Francisco

San Francisco

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanksgiving

Our family's traditions....

Big Noni's house for Christmas Day and the day after Christmas
Lala Babe's for Easter
Noni Katie, Lala Nora and Lala Biba's on a 3 year rotating schedule for Thanksgiving Day and the day after Thanksgiving

A very special memory from Thanksgiving at Noni Katie's...

Two or so months before Thanksgiving, Nono would get his "honey do" list relating to Thanksgiving.  He would then proceed to empty out Noni's sewing room which was located in the room downstairs....poor Nono!  By the second week in November, long tables and benches were in place...enough to accommodate nearly 40 family members.

Noni would spend days setting the tables.  One of my favorite memories is from the year she made turkey place holders for everyone.  I was 7 maybe 8 years old at the time.  The turkey's body was a potato, their heads, wings and tails were made of cardboard and they had toothpicks for legs.  She painstakenly colored every turkey using my red, green, brown and yellow crayons.  Everyone at the table had a potato turkey with their name on it.

My Noni was very creative, very talented.  I am sure she spent hours creating those turkeys.  Just a couple of weeks ago, I finished packing up Noni's house in the City.  You can imagine my surprise when I found a few of the turkey heads, wings and tails that she created so many years ago.





Wonder if Tom DeMartini remembers the turkeys?  I pray he has some memories of my Noni and Nono.